Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Look who paid a visit today.....

BTW, Charlie says "Hi!"..........


I heard an awful noise outside this afternoon, I thought maybe Charlie had gotten hold of a squirrel or baby racoon or maybe even a young possum. I hurried to the door cringing at the thought of seeing an injured animal and perhaps seeing a bloody mess. But when I got to the door I coul;d see thru the window that all Charlie was doing was "mooshing" (nosing) something much smaller than I expected to see. It was a woodpecker! He was screaming bloody murder! Charlie wasn't hurting it in anyway (he mooshes us, the cats, his food....), the woodpecker was just highly indignant at being treated that way. I made Charlie come in and I attempted to get the woodpecker to scoot on out. I opened both doors on the porch so he would see that escape was imminent but he (or she) was having none of that. It wouldn't go out. I swooshed my arms this way and that way thinking I'd startle it enough and it would leave. Nothing I did could persuade this fine feathered friend to exit the porch. It's about 7:30 p.m. here now and that darn woodpecker is still out there on the porch even tho it has been given it's privacy and both doors are still open. If it is a "she", do you suppose she wants my front porch to raise her first brood of the season in? Irregardless of her plans, I'm not going to get too pushy....did you see the length and sharpness of that beak?

No comments: